What is a LIFE Group?
A LIFE Group is a group of 8-12 people who meet, study, and ‘do-life’ together regularly for the purpose of growth and personal transformation in community. Life Groups can be Short-Term or Long-Term.
Short-Term Life Groups are run in a variety of styles. The style of each Life Group is noted under each group description, as are the start date, time, duration, and meeting room at Bethel, unless otherwise noted.
- BIBLE STUDY. Learning & studying directly from the Bible.
- BOOK STUDY. Learning & studying from a themed, Christian book.
- VIDEO STUDY. Learning from a themed, Christian video series.
- DISCUSSION. Learning from, and sharing with, people in the group.
- PRAYER. Praying about what has been learned, and for people in the group.
EARLY MORNING BIBLE STUDY
Tuesdays 7am – 8am | ongoing through the year | Café Church @ 333 Princess St.
BIBLE STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- [Paused for winter break. Resumes Feb 4] Bring your coffee, bring your breakfast, and get ready to start your Tuesdays off right! Starting at 7am sharp and ending at 8am sharp, this group dives into a bible chapter a week. This Winter we will study an Old Testament book (TBD), learning study skills each week, discussing the passage in small groups, and praying together. This study will be ongoing through the year; but if you can only commit for a short period, that’s ok! We will meet at Café Church, not at Bethel, so sign-up online to get more details on the location, and to stay informed on what we’ll be studying each week. The entrance to Café Church is on Queen Street between Barrie and Clergy Streets, behind Econo Drycleaning & Laundry.
Facilitator: Amanda Van Halteren
SOMETHING FOR WOMEN
Thursdays 9:30am – 11am | ongoing through the year | Library
BIBLE STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- [Paused for Christmas break. Resumes early January.] Join women of all ages for weekly times of bible study, discussion & prayer with coffee & snacks. This is a great place to plug in with other women if you don’t have a lot of time to study or can’t make a weekly commitment. Childcare available as needed.
Facilitator: Tamara Barrett
Connect Community is a new network of Life Groups designed for young adults to build community, foster relationships, grow in faith, and serve the city around them. Open to young adults aged 22 and older, this group is intended for graduate students, young professionals, or those who are figuring out where life is taking them next!
In partnership with Geneva House, Bethel Church, and Bay Park Baptist Church, Connect Community is designed to build connections between young adults from different Christian communities across the city. Whether you attend Bethel or Bay Park, are affiliated with Geneva House, or are seeking somewhere to belong this year, all are welcome!
Connect Community is designed around a Life Group model. Life Groups of about 8 to 10 people will meet weekly to study the Bible, pray, and serve, and monthly social events will bring the whole Connect Community together for fun and fellowship.
To join the Connect Community, sign-up at http://shorturl.at/howy4
Please also join our Facebook Group www.facebook.com/groups/2388292731248318 to stay updated on social events.
What is a Short-Term LIFE Group?
Held at Bethel typically on a week night, Short-Term Life Groups are 6-8 week studies that have a specific discipleship theme or focus, and are lead by one of Bethel’s pastors or trusted leaders. If you are new to Bethel, or new to Life Groups in general, than a short-term group is the first place to get plugged in! It’s a great way for you to get to know the people and pastors at Bethel, and for us to get to know you!
When do Short-Term LIFE Groups run?
We typically launch Short-Term groups three times per year: Fall (late-September), Winter (late-January), and Spring (April/May). Groups are announced well in advance so you have time consider the options and sign-up for the study that is right for you. When you sign-up we assume that you’re committing to attend all 6-8 weeks of the study, but we also understand that shift-work and life circumstances happen, so don’t write yourself off because your schedule doesn’t fit!
How do I sign-up for a Short-Term LIFE Group?
What is a Long-Term LIFE Group?
This is a group that runs year-round with people who have committed to journeying together long-term. Long-Term groups are usually hosted at people’s homes on a week night, and they decide together what theme or topic to study.
How do I find or start a Long-Term LIFE Group?
By first getting involved in a Short-Term group, especially if you’re new to Bethel! It’s a great way for you to get to know the people and pastors at Bethel, and for us to get to know you! Long-Term groups often spring up out of Short-Term groups, with people who have gotten to know each other and commit to growing together further. And don’t worry, our Associate Pastor, Amanda Van Halteren, will guide you in this process of starting a new Long-Term group!
If you’ve done the Short-Term thing and are looking to join an existing Long-Term group, please contact amanda.bethelchurch[at]gmail.com. She would love to chat with you to get to know what you’re looking for, and get you connected with a group. (Please note that availability in Long-Term groups can sometimes be limited…which is why we encourage the growth of new groups!)
LIFE Group Values
BE PRAYERFULLY ENGAGED | We actively pursue spiritual intimacy with God through prayer, together.
BE WORD CENTRED |We engage in studies that bring deeper understanding of the Bible, striving to live under its’ authority.
BE A COMMUNITY GATHERED | We create safe, conversational spaces, and encourage growth through practical application in all areas of life.
BE A COMMUNITY SCATTERED |We find ways to serve the community beyond Bethel’s doors, serving as a group and/or as individuals.
What if I’m not ready for a LIFE Group?
In the Bible, Jesus didn’t call His disciples to join Him because they were ready – rather, it was journeying with Jesus that started their growth and discipleship!
Checking out a Short-Term Life Group is a great place to start your journey. There are no prerequisites for you to join; we simply ask that you be committed to respecting others, open to learning new things, and willing to participate in a safe space.
The only way to “get ready” is to get involved!
What if I’m unsure of this whole “Jesus” and “church” thing?
That’s ok! We are all on our individual journeys, but the best journey is one in community. We encourage you to check out one of our seeker or foundational Short-Term groups so you can explore and study your questions with others who probably have the same questions!