Groups of 8-12 people who meet, study, and ‘do-life’ together regularly for the purpose of growth and personal transformation in community. Life Groups can be SHORT-TERM or LONG-TERM.
FALL 2020 SHORT-TERM GROUPS
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR FALL GROUPS
THE MARRIAGE COURSE
Wednesdays 8:00pm – 9:00pm on Zoom | Starts October 14 for 7 weeks (REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED)
VIDEO STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- Produced by the creators of Alpha, The Marriage Course is designed to help any couple strengthen their relationship. Through teaching, creative short films, real life stories, and expert insights, this course addresses age-old challenges that couples face as well as new relationship issues relevant in our our modern, digital culture. Sign-up today to invest in your marriage! Learn more at themarriagecourse.org (To participate in this study, you’ll need access to your free RightNow Media account and your free Zoom account.)
Facilitators: Mark & Rhonda Kotchapaw
PARENTING THROUGH THE PHASES
Tuesdays 8:00pm – 9:00pm on Zoom | Starts October 13 for 7 weeks (REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED)
VIDEO STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- You have approximately 936 weeks from the time your child is born until he or she graduates from high school. It goes by fast, and kids change and grow quickly! It’s as if they shift or move on just as you begin to figure them out. It can make the responsibility to shape a child’s faith and character feel overwhelming. Using the model of 18 “phases” in each child’s life, this study will help you discover what’s changing about your kid in their current phase, six things your kid needs most, and four conversations to have with your kid while they are in each phase. If you’re a parent of a young person, we hope you’ll join us on this journey! Learn more at phaseguides.com (To participate in this study, you’ll need access to your free Zoom account as well as YouTube.)
Facilitator: Jamie Stinson
Wednesdays 7:30pm – 9:00pm on Zoom | Starts October 14 for 8 weeks (REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED)
VIDEO STUDY. BIBLE STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- Using the video series Cold Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace (available on RightNow Media) we will take a look back through time to ask the questions “Is there a case for Christianity? Is it even true?” As a cold-case detective with a career in investigating events in the distant past, J. Warner applies the same detective skills and tactics to investigate the claims made in New Testament Gospels. Join us for this fascinating exploration as we examine the evidence and discover the truth! Learn more at coldcasechristianity.com (To participate in this study, you’ll need access to your free RightNow Media account and your free Zoom account.)
Facilitators: Carmen Gauvin-O’Donnell & Carolyn Trepanier
LIFE Group Styles
Life Groups are facilitated with a variety of styles, often more than one. As groups are advertised on this page, you will see the styles noted for each one.
BIBLE STUDY | Learning & studying directly from the Bible.
BOOK STUDY | Learning & studying from a themed, Christian book.
VIDEO STUDY | Learning from a themed, Christian video series.
DISCUSSION | Learning from, and sharing with, people in the group.
PRAYER | Praying about what has been learned, and for people in the group.
Short-Term Life Groups
A Short-Term group is a great place to plug-in if you are new to Bethel, if you are new to the idea of Life Groups altogether, or if you aren’t able to commit to a continuous Long-Term group. You’ll meet new people in our community, get to know Bethel’s pastors and other trusted leaders who facilitate these groups, and we’re excited to get to know you too!
Each Short-Term Life Group focuses on a specific theme such as exploring Christianity, spiritual disciplines, relationships, prayer, or apologetics. Choose the group that is right for you!
Groups are launched 3 times per year and usually meet at the church on weeknights, but in Fall 2020 groups will meet on Zoom. Studies for each season are advertised in advance with course descriptions, dates, times, and locations.
- Fall (late-September)
- Winter (late-January)
- Spring (April/May)
Announcements for upcoming Short-Term Life Groups are made several weeks in advance of start dates. Keep your eyes & ears open for announcements during church services, notices in Update Emails, posts on social media, updates on this page, or email keri[at]bethelkingston.com.
Registration links are posted on this web page; you can also contact keri[at]bethelkingston.com to register. The group facilitator will contact you before the start date with information you need to know in advance. We hope that you’ll committing to attending each week of the study, but we do understand that shift-work is common and life circumstances happen.
LIFE Group Values
BE PRAYERFULLY ENGAGED | We actively pursue spiritual intimacy with God through prayer, together.
BE WORD CENTRED |We engage in studies that bring deeper understanding of the Bible, striving to live under its’ authority.
BE A COMMUNITY GATHERED | We create safe, conversational spaces, and encourage growth through practical application in all areas of life.
BE A COMMUNITY SCATTERED |We find ways to serve the community beyond Bethel’s doors, serving as a group and/or as individuals.
LONG-TERM LIFE GROUPS
Long-Term groups are hosted at a group member’s home, typically on a weeknight. The group collectively decides which themes or topics to study through out the year, and many groups incorporate social nights, prayer nights, and service projects. Long-Term Life Groups are autonomous in how they meet and run, with group leaders communicating and checking-in with the Associate Pastor every few months.
How do I find a Long-Term group, or start one of my own?
First getting involved in a Short-Term group, especially if you’re new to Bethel! It’s a great way for you to get to know the people and pastors at Bethel, and for us to get to know you! Long-Term groups often spring up out of Short-Term groups, with people who have gotten to know each other and commit to growing together further. And don’t worry, our Associate Pastor, Amanda Van Halteren, will guide you in this process of starting a new Long-Term group!
If you’ve done the Short-Term thing and are looking to join an existing Long-Term group, please contact amanda.bethelchurch[at]gmail.com. She would love to chat with you to get to know what you’re looking for, and get you connected with a group. (Please note that availability in Long-Term groups can sometimes be limited…which is why we encourage the growth of new groups!)
OPEN LONG-TERM LIFE GROUPS
These 2 groups are always open for new members! Use this link to get info or register for either group.
EARLY MORNING BIBLE STUDY
Tuesdays 7am – 8am | Ongoing through the year | Currently meeting on Zoom
BIBLE STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- Bring your coffee, bring your breakfast, and get ready to start your Tuesdays off right! Starting at 7am sharp and ending at 8am sharp, this group dives into a bible chapter a week, learning study skills, discussing the passage in small groups, and praying together. This study is ongoing through the year; but if you can only commit for a short period, that’s ok! We are currently meeting online through Zoom. Sign-up to connect with the Facilitators and get more details and information.
Facilitators: Cherry To & Kathleen Ferns
SOMETHING FOR WOMEN
Thursdays 9:30am – 11am | Ongoing through the year | Currently meeting on Zoom
BIBLE STUDY. DISCUSSION. PRAYER
- Join women of all ages for weekly times of bible study, discussion & prayer with coffee & snacks. This is a great place to plug in with other women if you don’t have a lot of time to study or can’t make a weekly commitment. Childcare available as needed.
Facilitator: Tamara Barrett
What if I’m not ready for a LIFE Group?
In the Bible, Jesus didn’t call His disciples to join Him because they were ready – rather, it was journeying with Jesus that started their growth and discipleship!
Checking out a Short-Term Life Group is a great place to start your journey. There are no prerequisites for you to join; we simply ask that you be committed to respecting others, open to learning new things, and willing to participate in a safe space.
The only way to “get ready” is to get involved!
What if I’m unsure of this whole “Jesus” and “church” thing?
That’s ok! We are all on our individual journeys, but the best journey is one in community. We encourage you to check out one of our seeker or foundational Short-Term groups so you can explore and study your questions with others who probably have the same questions!