Why “Go Public”?
Baptism is about publicly identifying with the message and mission of Jesus Christ. Sharing our testimony allows others to hear and relate to what God has done in your life and it serves as a spiritual marker in your life that you can look back on to remember what He has done.
What is the Purpose of Baptism
To be baptized is to publicly identify with the message and mission of Jesus Christ.
Baptism is a sign of identification.
Public identification with Christ has cost people their lives, families, friends, and jobs.
Public identification says, “I’m not ashamed of the gospel.” Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Baptism is a symbolic picture of the death, burial, and resurrection.
- Baptism says that I have died to me and I’m alive in Christ.
- Baptism is an outward sign of an inward reality.
“What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” Romans 6:1-4
Baptism is a symbolic picture of cleansing, a washing away of sin.
- The water doesn’t cleanse us; the blood of Christ that cleanses us.
- The water is a symbolic picture of the cleansing from the blood of Christ.
“he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,” Titus 3:5
Are You Interested in Being Baptized?
There are several ways to let us know:
- Email Pastor Mark (mark[at]bethelkingston.com) or Pastor Amanda (amanda.bethelchurch[at]gmail.com)
- Fill out a Connect Card in your pew and hand it into a greeter or put it in the offering plate
- Call the Bethel office at 613-542-2990
Once we have heard from you, one of our staff members will be in touch with information on our Baptismal Class.