Sunday mornings approx. 9:15am – 10:15 am in the Upper Room (during the first worship service)
Serious Faith teaches students why Christ followers believe what they believe (apologetic teaching) and also teaches students what it means to follow Jesus at a personal level.
The Serious Faith Sunday morning routine includes a time of:
- We meet in the Balcony together during the first service for live worship through music with the Church congregation,
- Then a few games, sports, or activities with peers,
- Transition into large group teaching, and
- Finally, some small group discussion time to chat about the teaching
We think that Junior High years are crucial and will influence a student’s development right into adulthood. Unlike many people, we do not see Jr. High’s as just a “teenager” (with all of the “stuff” that entails!) but as a Young Adult – one who is growing and learning to think for him or herself every day.
Our program is a three-year cycle, based in apologetics (the defense of the faith): we wish for these young people to understand, and take hold of, their faith for themselves; by learning both WHAT they believe, and WHY they believe it so they can withstand the temptations and pressures that will come at them in their high school and university years.
Over their course of study, they will discuss topics like theology, philosophy, doctrine, comparative religion, cults, etc. We also will not be afraid to deal with controversial issues, such as sexuality, although we will always contact parents beforehand to advise them and to discuss any concerns you might have. (Parents, of course, are absolutely free not to have their child in the class that day.)
We also are firm believers in the power of small groups to assist a young person in their growth and helping them understand the importance of good community. Part of their time will see them in a small group with their peers and youth leaders for discussion.
Friday nights from 7:00 pm – 9:15 pm in the Gym
WHERE IT’S SO FUN – IT’S SERIOUS!
The vision of Serious Fun is create a FUN, safe environment where Junior Highs are excited to come out, and bring their friends! We want to give Junior highs of all backgrounds a positive, fun, church experience, and help them form strong Christian relationships that they can then carry with them as they move into high school. A big part of that includes showing them what a strong Christian relationship looks like with others and with God.
An average Friday night at Serious Fun…
- 7:00 – 7:15 Canteen time. This is a time where the youth are able to bring money and buy some treats, proceeds go towards year end gifts for students and retreat.
- 7:20 –8:10 Fun activity/game! The activity is different every week, but it is always lots of FUN! Some of our favourites from this year include: Games in the Dark, Olympics Night, Random Acts of Kindness, Skating, Minute 2 Win It & Top Chef!
- 8:10 – 9:15 Large group message & Small group. A time where the youth hear a message relating to a biblical passage or topic, they then go to their small groups to discuss the passages and topics. Small groups make it easier for students to ask questions and get answers in a more personal environment.
- BETHEL JR HIGH SUNDAY SCHOOL – GRADES 6-8
- SUNDAY MORNINGS 9 AM (DURING THE FIRST SERVICE)
- OUR PHILOSOPHY:
- 9:15 – Pick up time
Friday nights from 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm in the Upper Room
The vision of Sr. High Youth at Bethel is to create an atmosphere that centers around the love of Jesus. We look to have a youth group that is accepting of all youths and teaches the word of God with passion. Our goal is to help students grow into fully mature followers of Christ, helping them grow and thrive in their relationship with God in their schools, homes, and communities.
Our average Friday’s look like:
- 7-7:15: Canteen and Hangout. This is an opportunity for students to get some candy, but also connect with their friends and meet new people.
- 7:15-8:10: Game time. Games are different each week, but usually a wide game in the gym or around the church, we have a few ongoing games that are usually set up each week such as 9-square and spikeball.
- 8:10-9: Teaching Time. Our teachings center around the Bible, helping students deal with current life issues relating to scripture, or looking into different books of the bible and how it relates today.
- 9-9:30. Small groups. Small group time is where we break up into smaller groups to be able to talk more about the message more in depth. It gives students the opportunity to ask questions and chat about life together and building relationships.
- 9:30. Pick up time.